News

Tennis player Nick Kyrgios’ court date postponed by 3 weeks

Tennis player Nick Kyrgios: CANBERRA, Australia (AP) — Wimbledon tennis finalist Nick Kyrgios’ court date to face charges of common assault has been postponed for three weeks.

Advertisement

The charge relates to an incident in January 2021 that was reported to the Australian Capital Territory Police in December. Kyrgios was initially expected to face the ACT Magistrates Court on August 2 – next Tuesday.

Read More: Tennis Kyrgios pulls out of singles in Atlanta with a knee problem

But court officials said on Friday that the case will now be heard on August 23. Kyrgios does not need to attend this court session if he is legally represented.

At Wimbledon, where Kyrgios lost to Novak Djokovic in the final in four sets, the Australian said he had been advised by his lawyers not to comment on the pending court case.

Advertisement

Canberra lawyer Michael Kokolis-Smith is now acting for Kyrgios. On Friday, Kokolis-Smith also would not confirm the details of the allegation, saying it would be inappropriate while the matter is before the courts.

Kyrgios is scheduled to play a tournament in Cincinnati, Ohio, in mid-August before the US Open begins in New York on August 29.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Check Also
Close
Back to top button